Ugo is one of the Principals at YYC Lawyers. His practice focuses on corporate, commercial, and civil litigation. He was admitted to the Nigerian bar in 1995 and practiced corporate litigation with premier Nigerian law firms. Attracted to Canada on a graduate scholarship, Ugo first attended Carleton University, Ottawa, for his MA, and whilst in that program, was accepted into the highly competitive internship program of the World Trade Organization (WTO) in Geneva, Switzerland. Whilst in Geneva, he was admitted to the doctoral program at Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto as a Peter Hogg Fellow. As well, Ugo was a Grotius Fellow at the University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA. Ugo was called to the Alberta bar in 2008 and was previously an associate in a Tier 1 National Law firm, compliance counsel in a major Alberta utility, and prior to joining YYC lawyers, was a partner in a downtown litigation boutique.
Ugo has appeared before all levels of Alberta courts on litigation matters. Ugo’s exposure to different legal markets provides him a unique perspective to complex matters especially those transcending national borders. It also allows him to bring a certain sensitivity, tact, and understanding to client files. Ugo’s practice is client-centered, and he is relentless in seeking creative approaches to seemingly difficult legal tasks.
Areas of Practice
- General Litigation
- Corporate Law
- Nigeria (1995)
- Alberta, Canada (2008)
- Ph.D. (Osgoode Hall Law, York University, Toronto).
- MA (Carleton University, Ottawa).
- LL.M (Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (Nigeria).
- LL.B. (Hons) (University of Nigeria).
- Professional Associations
- Law Society of Alberta, Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Nigerian Bar Association
Awards and Honors
- Peter Hogg Pre-Doctoral Fellow, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto
- Harley D. Hallett Graduate Scholarship, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto
- Hugo Grotius Visiting Research Scholar, University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, USA
- Entrance Scholarship, Carleton University, Ottawa